Monday, November 5, 2007

What The Hell Did I Spent $84.81 On?

Groceries/Food: $84.81
Gas: $37.82
Eating Out: $24 (not good)
Laundry: $16

Total $162.09

I added up my grocery receipts and it looks like I spent almost half my monthly food allotment in the first four days. $84.81. My first reaction was "On What?" That's almost half my freaking budget. I looked down the list, I got a supply of chicken breast for the freezer that I can cook on the grill or on the stove top, bough a medium sized fryer to make soup with and use the boiled chicken for sandwiches, a couple weeks supply of drinks, re-stocked my pantry with various and assorted staples (flour, yeast, pasta,beans, salt, etc) and items to make my lunch with. Plus I'm pretty well stocked in the Pantry, so hopefully the rest of the month won't be so bad.

I made the soup yesterday, it was yummy, had it for supper last night and lunch this am. Will make chicken salad with part of the leftover chicken and some sort of a casserole with the rest (one of my favorites is to make cream sauce and add in the chicken, a bunch of veg, some pasta and top it off with either breadcrumbs or biscuits). I'll probably freeze the leftover soup and use it as a base for other soups or meals.

I am going to drag out my bread machine tonight and make a fresh loaf of whole wheat bread, that should make my sandwich days more appealing, plus I did not make any bread last week (the whole wheat flour I had was buggy, tells you the last time I used that container-gross).

With the leftovers I won't be ordering in any meals. I can't, to spend $24 on 3 meals is a bit crazy. AND to top it off, the Chinese was not that spicey and I really wanted spicey food, it left me a bit unsatisfied.

Stealing someone Wooly Woman's Theme, The Meals for the Week are as Follows:

Breakfast

Bread Product with cream cheese or one egg (my usual!)

Lunch

Soup and Salad: 1 Meals
Chicken Salad Sandwich: 1 Meal
Salad with toppings: 1 Meal
Leftover Casserole: 1 Meal
Office Pizza Party: 1 Meal (we are celebrating someones Birthday, free meal!)

Supper

Casserole: 2 Meals
Pasta with Red Sauce: 1 meal
Soup and Salad: 1 Meal
Grilled Chicken: 1 Meal
Fake Quesadilla's: 1 Meal

That should take me through the weekend. I am supposed to go to a party on Saturday night and how I feel on Sunday will dictate what additional shopping I do for my meals for the next week. When I'm home in the winter on the weekends, I usually cook up a pot of something (soup, stew, a roast meal, gravy for pasta). House smells good and I can usually get some great leftovers out of the meal.

Like I said earlier, not a lot of freezer space means I'm eating a lot of chicken these next few weeks.

I'll let you know how I fare.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that all flour has the possibility of weavils, etc., but, if you keep your flour in the freezer, you can keep the little critters at bay for a while.

SavingDiva said...

Great job planning out all of your meals. I have the problem that when I plan my meals, I don't plan my snakcs in...and then I end up running to the vending machine to get a quick fix of sugar!

Anonymous said...

You're doing well re food.. Have you thought of giving up meat though? it's expensive and you can get your protein requirements from tofu (beancurd)which is much cheaper and lasts longer in the fridge....you might need to use quite a lot of garlic and spice with it for a while.. it also has all the hormone friendly benefits of soya...
Good luck Susi

Anonymous said...

I try to plan meals but it is hard my grocery bill for a family of 4 is nearly 600 a month. and the sad thing is the healthier food is the more expensive stuff seen the price of veggies?