Monday, November 12, 2007

The Food Theme Continues!

After reeling from the amount of money I spent at the grocery store, I also jumped on the bandwagon on being better about planning my weekly meals. Last week I did really well both lunches and dinner. The weekend was OK, I only bought a sandwich and a drink on the run on Saturday, $5.49, much better from previous week when I spent $24 on lunch alone in three days. I ate the last of my leftovers for lunch and dinner on Sunday (I went to a dinner party on Saturday) . I did spend $30 at the grocery store, but 1/3 of that was dog food and I did a stock up on more canned staples from the damage can bin.

I made a pot of split pea soup last night (using some of the chicken soup I had frozen as stock as a base) for part of my meals this week and took a good look at the food cupboard as well.

My shopping for this week is minimal (dog bones for the dogs, some veg and milk, some fruit for snacks). I've half planned out my meals for the week. My goal for the week is to pretty much make my meals with what I have on hand in the cupboard and in the fridge/freezer. Not much left in the freezer except for some frozen chicken. I don't want to spend a ton of money at the grocery store. I'm tired of the grocery store! I want to work on using what I have for my meals. I also noticed I'm collecting lots of staples (canned beans, dried beans tomatoes, simmer sauces) but not using them. Time to use what I have!

Breakfast: The usual, bread product with cream cheese and a topping (tomato, avocado, fresh bell pepper) or an egg. Tea and or juice.

Lunches:
Homemade Soup and Salad: 2 days
Fake Indian Left overs: 1 day
Sandwich: 1 day
Left Over Beans and Rice: 1 day

Dinners:
Soup and Salad-1 day
Fake Indian-1 day (Thank you Trader Joe's simmer sauces)
Pasta-1 day
Beans and Rice-1 day
Quesadillas or Grilled chicken-1 day

My grand plan is to use up as many things from my cupboards as possible and do one large re-stocking food shop on December 1st.

1 comment:

SavingDiva said...

Good luck with the thrifty food shopping!