Monday, January 14, 2008

A Quick Update on Why We All Need an E-Fund and Thanks

Before I tell you all about my stupidity, I just wanted to say thanks to all you folks who have added me to your readers or stop on by and read my rantings and ravings. I appreciate you all. Especially this past weekend while I kept starting at my discharge paperwork scratching my head going OK, what's next.....

As we are all trying to do, I have been diligently working on a Emergency Fund. This weekend I needed it.

My neighbor and I used the moderately nice weather on Saturday to do a little yard clean up and split the cost of a bulky waste dump run. Things were going great, I had my fair share of large dump items and was looking forward to cleaning up my yard before the next snow fall. Getting a jump on yard spring cleaning, always a good thing.

Until I tossed a 4 x4 rotted fence pole into the truck and through his back window. Yup, I was doing my own version of the javelin toss and this pole just shattered the back window.

Now mind you, if I TRIED to do this, it would never happen, I don't have that great hand eye coordination, I'm not that strong, and I have no idea how I managed to throw the pole in the back of the truck and then smack dab into the middle of the rear window.

The broken glass is not covered by my homeowners or my car insurance (and I was at fault) and the neighbors did not have glass coverage on their policy. Since this happened early on Saturday, we were able to find an auto glass place open and get the window replaced. Cost $274 for the window, installation, etc. A quick call to the local junk yards did not turn up a used window we could have tried to fit in. That just about wipes out my E-Fund. Time to rebuild it, but at least the neighbor has a functioning window and our old debris is out of our yards.

I guess I just don't know my own strength.....

No comments: