Monday, January 7, 2008

The Purge of Items Continues

As part of my goal to de-clutter, I've been taking a number of items to my local consignment shop. Not only am I able to sell clothes, but furniture, books, etc. I just don't have it in me right now to list items for sale on E-Bay or Craig's list. I can barely keep up with the few items I've listed on Freecycle.

This particular store will give me a flat fee on books, movies, kitchen items, and a regular consignment account for clothes, furniture, linens, etc. Once a quarter you get an inventory update and a check.

Here is a partial list of things that have either been Freecycled, Goodwilled, Consigned, since the middle of the summer:

Numerous books on Half.com, an older model women's mountain bike, a fur coat, new sheets (still in wrapper), old sheets and towels, a rope hammock, a bunch of DVDs and old VHS tapes, plates, dishes, serving bowls, mixing bowls, extra old dog crates and gates, an old VCR, a picnic basket for two, plants split from my garden, a new small garbage can (I got a small can as part of a set), extra 4x4 posts for fencing, extra mesh fencing, an old 35MM film camera and lots of clothes I no longer fit into or want.

I'm being pretty good (ie-ruthless) about my possessions. Last week it was 4 or 5 bags of items that left the house. This weekend it's two boxes of items to be freecycled and consigned.

As I emptied one kitchen shelf, I realized I have these very four pretty bowls that I never use. Granted, I don't entertain like I used to, but these bowls have been sitting on my shelf gathering a lot of dust. I washed the bowls, picked out two that I liked best and put the others in the to be removed from the house box. I also did the same with some baking pans. Why do I need two loaf pans? I can't even remember the last time I used a loaf pan. If I need more than one loaf pan, I can buy some disposable pans at the grocery store.

I'm still finding it hard to part with certain possessions (my books for one) and I have to go through old photos and cards and toss the ones that I don't even remember where those places are or who gave me the card. Don't remember, can't remember, out it goes.

I still have a couple boxes of items from my move to the North East from 7.5 years ago that I've not fully gone through. Yikes, I'm sure at this point ANYTHING in those boxes can be taken straight to Goodwill.

This is actually turning into a good winter project......

1 comment:

SavingDiva said...

I'm really impressed! Keep up the good work!