Wednesday, January 9, 2008

And Just to Add to My List-I Need to Lose Weight

One more thing to add to my list, I had my yearly check up on Friday and my doctor has told me that I need to lose weight, about 25-30 lbs and you know what, I agree with her. I have totally slacked off on any forms of exercise these past couple years while I had dealt with my deteriorating financial life. As I have posted before, I stress eat (a lot). And I'm getting to that age where weight matters.

This medical decree will force me to join a gym. Living rural means lots of country roads with no street lights and in the winter it is not safe to be out walking on the rural roads with fairly crazy drivers. I'm just not enough of a morning person to get up and walk the roads. I know this for a fact, I've tried it before. Plus my home is too small to have any sort of home gym equipment.

My plan is as follows. Use the next couple weeks to get into a home stretching program and to research my area gym options (we have a YMCA and two health clubs in the immediate area). I've used gyms before (and successfully when I lived in another area, I like the social aspect of a gym and the variety of classes.). Plus my old roommate worked for a health club chain in management and I'm fairly enlightened on the sales techniques of commission health club sales people. Health clubs make money on folks who never use their memberships and lose money on folks who do.

I may need to save money, increase the E-fund, etc, but my health is far more important to me than saving for a vacation. Plus the upside to this is that I'll be doing something other than sitting at home after work 5 days a week brooding on my life.

No comments: