Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thank Goodness the Present Madness is Over

As I posted earlier, I really had no idea who I was buying holiday gifts for, I knew not a lot of people, but some. I specifically opted out of the holidays this year for a variety of reasons, but I still have a few folks to send to. I am having a hard time getting into the holiday vibe, and that makes shopping for even my few gifts tough.

I did want to get my lovely neighbors a present, but was stuck on what to get. I ended up buying a laundry basket, a fleece jacket from Old Navy (on sale 50% off) , gift cards for the two girls, some warm fuzzy socks, assorted snacks (they love salty snacks), a dog toy for the dog, and I'm going to have my local liquor store arrange it all in the laundry basket with a six pack of the adults favorite beverages. My local liquor store does great gift baskets and will customize and pretty up the laundry basket for me and the service charge to do this is minimal (the joys of being a regular customer!)

I got a small Starbucks coffee gift pack and a gift card to give to someone who was very helpful to me earlier in the year. I am also going to Christmas dinner at an old friends house so a couple bottle of cheer will come with me and I'm bringing dessert from the local fancy pastry shop. Another mutual friend will be at dinner and I got her a microfiber couch throw (on sale for $13.99 ), she is always cold and this was one of those impulse buys that actually works out (and being on sale helps). Plus she gave me a present last year and I did not give her one.

I have to go through my receipts as I send my friend James a food goodie box and a lot of that food was tacked on to my grocery bill. I think I went over my $25 limit, but his birthday is in February and the overpriced candles I got at the Candle Party will be his main gift. They did not make it to his Christmas Box this time around.

I did send out a ton of Holiday cards and I actually had over half of them written, addresses and mailed the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The last batch went out last week. That's better than last year when I barely sent out any at all.

My Christmas present to myself was a heated mattress pad (bought on sale at Linens and Things, plus a 20% off coupon). This by far, has got to be one of the best presents I have ever gotten myself. I feel like I'm sleeping in a warm cocoon. I have no desire to get out of bed in the mornings, I will also get myself a nice bottle of bubbly, a gourmet pizza, and a DVD for Christmas eve. Yup a pizza and a DVD. (My DVD player sort of works, I thought it was dead, but it is in fact just dying I'm planning for a replacement in January).

Last year I cooked a full roast meal for the now exBF(Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Gravy, Two Veg, cheese, crackers and fruit for desert) for Christmas Eve which was nice, but a lot of work.

Right now I can't think of a better way to spend the night. Feet up, fuzzy pajamas, good drink, good pizza and a movie.

No comments: