Friday, December 28, 2007

The Need to Purge Possessions

Like so many folks, I read my horoscope on a daily basis. For a number of years, I have been a fan of Yasmin Boland. I just really like her site and her 'scopes. The following message was on her home page this morning:

Friday December 28 – Moon into Virgo
As we cruise through “Christmas Week” the skies are quiet, in readiness for New Year.
This is a good time to start to work out your New Year’s Resolutions, as the next major astro link is between Mercury and Saturn – the planet of the mind and the planet who makes this stick. It’s also an excellent time to do any end of year decluttering that you want to get done pre-2008. The quick rule of thumb is to go through your pile of stuff, hold each item and ask “Do I love it?” and if the answer is no, throw it in the bin before you change your mind! Decluttering is very good for raising the energy in your home
.

Last night I took a good look around my small little space and decided I really needed a good declutter. I'm feeling a little claustrophobic in my space and I know I have a bunch of possessions that just need to go. Plus I'm running out of room in what limited storage I do have! This part of my life is getting out of control. What really bothers me is my desk is becoming a repository for all sorts of things. I'm not using my lap top on a regular basis, so I find I'm just dumping stuff on the desk top and not filing, puttting away, etc.

I'm hoping to spend an exciting Saturday Night purging possessions so I can take them to the dump or Goodwill on Sunday or post on Freecycle or Craig's list. The stuff just needs to go.

I've given myself a goal this weekend to be fairly ruthless in picking out the things that can stay and the things that can go. And if I'm really good about this, it will help clean out space in my kitchen so I can paint it on New Years Day and start 2008 with a freshly painted kitchen.

No comments: