Monday, September 15, 2008

Successful Weekend And Looking Ahead.

I had a decent weekend tackling my to do list. I did another clutter/possession purge, made a trip to the town dump, got the returnables back to the store, managed to get my laundry done, met up with some friends and got treated to lunch on Sunday, solved my couch cushion dilemma, and actually went to a movie. I went to the movies because it was too muggy and humid to do yard work (well that was my excuse) and I've not been to the movies in ages. I saw Burn After Reading and really liked it. I love the Cohen Brothers!

I do consider the weekend successful on a couple levels, not only did I get some long neglected chores done, but I've been working very hard on changing my mindset these past couple months. Look at the glass half full instead of half empty. Be more of a Pollyanna. Look on the Bright Side of Life. Ditch the Negative People.

My long and lengthy to do list is still pretty long, but I was able to finish some outstanding projects and I've made substantial headway in my two main goals of the month and we are just halfway through September. When I looked at the list last night, I did not think, wow, I've got soo much left to do, instead it was "Wow I got a lot done and I got to have some fun as well! " That is a big improvement for me, a big improvement.

What has this got to do with Personal Finance. It's about realizing how far you have come towards your goals. Weather it's debt reduction or savings, I see and read a lot of blogs where people are complaining I have soo much debt left, or I am so far away from my savings goal. I'm here to say, give yourselves a pat on the back and look at what you have achieved. I know I've made some less than sensible decisions on how to spend my money recently and I've griped about my E-fund at a standstill. BUT I have an E-Fund now, last year at this time I was going crazy with the Bankruptcy filing, saving any money was just something I did not and could think about.

Try to spend some time congratulating your selves on your financial successess. Congratulate your selves on finding ways to monitize your blogs, sell things on E-bay/Craig's List, that you are truly getting the concept of snowflaking, you've started an Emergency Fund. Congratulate yourself on taking those steps that need to be taken and take a few moments to enjoy the day. You deserve it!

3 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I'm glad that you've got a brighter outlook on life. I find myself getting down on myself recently...I'm trying to snap out of it, but it's difficult!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!

It can be so discouraging for me sometimes, when I look at how far I still have to go. But the truth is? I'm so much farther than I ever thought I would be already.

Thanks for the reminder to look on the bright side, it made my day better :)

Dawn said...

I should print out your post and hang it on the 'fridge. Sometimes patting myself on the back is impossible for me. Thanks for the reminder!