Friday, June 6, 2008

Just to Make Myself More Insane

I pulled the bill from the accountant for this years company taxes, the CPA charge $70/hr to input all the information from the "unbalanced" account into Quicken and to the Excel spreadsheet, total time spent doing this BEFORE they could work on the Income Taxes, 8.5 hours, or $637.50 of company dollars spent to do work that should have been done by someone else.

Why does this piss me off? Well, it's because someone did not do their job and complained about all the extra work this new to them task was taking. We are not talking rocket science or complex financial dealings, we are talking recording deposits, writing checks out, inputting some data into a spreadsheet and filing papers. There were no complex fiscal calculations that require great financial decisions, on the simplest terms, money in, same amount of money out, less a few expenses. Something that should take a couple hours a week if that. I know this former employee got decent compensation, she was good at most of her job, but the fact she complained how much time this additional task took when in fact it's not that much time at all irks me. I'm also irked because my boss never followed up with her, he trusted her to do her job, all facets of her job. To be honest, he does not follow up with me either on most projects, so I'm not complaining about unfair treatment. Had I been aware that the information was not being inputted into the databases, I may have found a way to correct that. But I did not and the past is the past, no use crying over spilled milk as they say.

The upside is my boss has realized that our next employee needs to be someone who can handle both the customers and the spreadsheets. I did tell him that I thought it was a waste of the accountants time and company dollars to input the data when we can do it in house. As long as we had the paper copy back ups for them to see (or the IRS), we should be ok. He agreed.

All right, I'll get off my soapbox. I just had to vent.

1 comment:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I hate it when people aren't responsible and don't step up to the plate.

It's even worse when you end up doing the work