Friday, September 28, 2007

Being Prepared


Ok, Yes I was a Girl Scout and I like to think I am prepared. After my car decided not to work yesterday I was talking to some folks in the office only to find out most people don't have what I consider the basics in their car-flashlight, jumper cables, blanket, etc.


Somewhere along the line, I had a friend whose mother insisted all her children and childrens friends carry the below list of items in their car


1) Blanket

2) Jumper Cables

3) Heavy Duty Flashlight

4) Decent Set of Maps

5) $20 in case of emergencies, some of this should be change for a pay phone (this was pre-cell phone days)

6) Small shovel in the winter.


Following her advice for many years I do carry all of the above, plus my new jump start gizmo in a big LL Bean canvas bag in my car. I still have the emergency money (though I did dip into it one time for gas money, but I replaced it).


Like I said in my previous post, the jump start gizmo (known as a jump start pack) has been one of my best purchases this year. I've lent it out to about 4 people who have been stranded someplace with a dead battery (and no jumper cables to get a jump from another car). I was told by a friend of mine to buy one and I wish I had had it when my car battery decided to die one day at one of those mini mart gas station places. It did not help that after I was able to get a jump, that one reason my battery died was that it was the original car battery and about 6 years old, but that is another story. Had I had this gizmo, I could have gotten my car started and gone on my way instead of practically attacking strangers asking for a battery jump. At 6:30 AM at some little mini-mart in the middle of the country, I was not pleased to be stuck.


You can find these gizmos at Costco, probably BJ Wholesale Club, Wal-Mart and probably most auto supply stores. I recommend getting one for peace of mind.


2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I don't have a gizmo, but I do have jumper cables. I have a whole kit...a family member gave it to me. It's great! It has road flares (still haven't used one), flash light, a collapsable gas can (my sister has used hers quite a few times), jumper cables, etc.

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of hombre who enjoys to taste different things. Presently I'm fabricating my hold solar panels. I'm doing it all alone without the help of my men. I am utilizing the net as the only way to acheive that. I came across a very brilliant website that explains how to build photovoltaic panels and so on. The site explains all the steps required to photovoltaic panel building.

I am not exactly sure about how accurate the info given there is. If some guys over here who have experience with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the site it will be grand and I'd really appreciate it, cause I truly would love to try solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You guys are great.