Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Needs and Wants

I decided to post a Needs and Wants Post. I've spent half the evening trying to get online and to do some work/research. My computer and internet service provider are at odds with each other-again. As I work through this bankruptcy, what I find a kicker is that I'm at the stage where I need things, not want things, need things. Things that require loans and financing. UGH

1) I need a new computer. My laptop is five years old and starting to be un-useful. Plus I'm on dial up so any on line work or research takes forever! I have a goal to try to earn enough extra money to buy a new computer. Amount in that fund is really small.

2) I need new slippers. Ok, not quite a computer, but I realized my current pair are totally shot. At least I can afford a new pair from Target, maybe 2 pair if I find them on sale. My floors are cold and I don't keep the heat on very high in the winter.

3) I will need a new car sometime this fall. My poor baby has over 200,000 miles on it and owes me nothing. I think the time is coming to let it rest. I'm starting to have repairs on it and each repair has been around $500 to $600 each. That could be two months of car payments. Not sure (yet) how I am going to afford a new or new to me vehicle at this point, are there really car dealerships that will extend credit to someone fresh out of Bankruptcy? I've not researched that yet, I've only seen the ads on tv and in the paper.

4) I want a new TV. My current TV is a small 12 inch color portable tv, but it's really small. I don't have cable, I borrow a lot of movies from the local library and it would be nice to see a movie on a larger screen. My computer monitor at work is bigger than my TV.


I can live without the new TV and will live without the new TV until I reach very specific financial goals. I'm going to have to figure out how to finance a new to me vehicle.


The upside to all of this I posted on Freecycle, a desire for a bread maker. Low and behold, someone in the neighboring town has one she got as a gift and is giving to me. I love fresh bread, but buying a loaf at the bakery is expensive and I end up with too much bread and not enough space in my freezer to store it. I've used a bread maker before and I know that it will give me the perfect sized loaf of bread, good enough for a couple days. I'm looking forward to coming home to fresh bread for dinner.

Ah yes, and now time to go to bed and get some sleep.

2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

It depends on your location, but I live near a large university. A lot of the students (international or from across the country) just throw their stuff away at the end of the school year. I have a nice 27" TV that I found sitting next to a dumpster (it is nicer than my old 19" TV). You might want to check out student apartment areas at the end of the semester. I think you'd be surprised at what people throw away.

Anonymous said...

Want a computer
Want a car
Want a new TV

And you just filed for bankruptcy

That is why you ended up their to begin with. Get your house under control and SAVE for those things ONCE it is under control.