Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Blast from My Past

I opened up my e-mail today and I got this from my ex who has not contacted me in years.

Hi xxx,

Well I up and did it and got married and moved out to ............ in a little house ....... Life is good........I need a favor, can you give me a recommendation to ..............

Hope you are well.
........

You get the gist. Part of this e-mail was also asking if I can be a reference for the above person. and would I say something nice about him.

Say something nice? Why would I NOT say something nice? Part of me wanted to reach down the internet and choke the bastard. This was a person when I lived with him was a penny pinching fool. Two months after I broke up with him he did the following things: 1) Buy a new car 2)Buy a new TV 3) Get Cable (we never had it) 4) Buy a new computer (BTW-his old computer was only 2 years old and only used for surfing the net) And why would I not say something nice? We parted on good terms and kept in friendly sporadic contact up until a few years ago (which I think corresponded with his new relationship)

Now I find out he went and got married. We were together for a very long time and at one point, we sort of unofficially decided to get married. We never made a formal announcement, we just sort of told folks we were thinking about finally getting married after living together for 6 years. Obviously we never did, but I remember everyone being very happy for us. When I realized I was for all intents and purposes, but dumped, I fell in to a deep depression, it took me a while to get over it and move on. And a while to get up the courage to leave the relationship,while it was not great, was a relationship that gave me comfortable boundaries.

This whole thing kinda threw me for a loop, but as I watched TV tonight, I realized I had to be the bigger person, give the recommendation and move on or move on more than I thought I had.

Why am I writing about this in a bankruptcy blog? Because it's all about taking control of ones life, making positive progress and moving on. That was part of my past, and actually finding out the ex has gotten married has given me some closure on that part of my old life and is freeing me to move on. Breathe in, Breathe out, slowly exhale........

No comments: