Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Reality Check

I came home from work on Friday to find the power was out at the house. This put me in a right foul mood. All I wanted to do was veg in front of the TV and drink a couple beers with the fan blowing on me and take a shower before going to bed.

Instead, it was warm beer on the neighbors deck and bed time by 9:15 PM. No power means no water, I'm on a well if you don't have power for the well pump, you don't have water.

I woke up early to go to an event and had a major reality check about my life and my supposed big issues. I ran into a person I consider a very good acquaintance. We volunteer at the same functions once or twice a year and we have some mutual friends. We always enjoy working with each other.

Imagine my surprise when I saw Lisa doing a Sinead O'Connor impression with a bald head. DUH- not Sinead, breast cancer.

Lisa had been diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago, had a radial mastectomy and was undergoing Chemo. She had lost her hair, was having her ass kicked with this round of chemo (her words) , but she was happy to have caught it when she did and feels optimistic about the future. I hugged her and said Oh baby how are you? My issues seemed to melt like butter under the noon day sun.

Lisa is very lucky, she has a wonderful family who love her and support her and she also has her "volunteer"family who love and support her. With all those good vibes around her, there is no doubt in my mind she will be a long term survivor.

No comments: