Thursday, October 16, 2008

An Unsatisfying Shop

Before my Poochie2 fiasco, I stopped at my favorite ethnic market for a re-stock on supplies that you just can't buy at the chain grocery stores. I'm starting to get back into a cooking mood and wanted to re-stock my pantry with some essentials and non essentials as well. I have not been to this particular market in a while, I just have not been to the town where it is located and I'm being careful not to make too many needless car trips.

I was in for a bit of a surprise. The sign on the door said under new management. At first glance, all seemed good. I went in and as I wandered up and down the aisles, I could see some disheartening signs. Each aisle focuses on a different ethnic theme (Italian, West Indian/Caribbean, Puerto Rican, Central/South America, Mexican, Chinese/Asian, Hungarian, Middle Eastern, African). The amount of goods were reduced, several of my favorite items were not in stock, the produce bordered on the over ripe (meaning it had to be used up no later than today), the dried beans, condiments section was low on inventory and up on price. Not good.

This particular market usually has a lot of customers up until it closes. You can pretty much guarantee a crowd of people in the store at 6:30 PM. Last night I was only one of three in the store. I do hope it's a temporary glitch while the new owners get up and running and not a sign of the times. I really like shopping at this market. It's one of the few places left where I can buy 3 onions or 3 potatoes and not have to buy a 5lb bag that won't get used up. It's my grocery store treat to myself.

No comments: