Friday, July 11, 2008

A Discount Just for Asking

My office belongs to our local Chamber of Commerce. I actually read the Chamber newsletter last week, and lo and behold, there was a blurb about getting a discount if you insured your house and or car through a particular agency.

This agency recently "took over" the insurance office that writes my car insurance policy. I called, left a message, and found out yesterday that since I work for a business that is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, I am eligible for a 10% discount on my car insurance. Yea Ha! A little less money I have to fork over. Plus my policy comes up for renewal and the one claim I had (I backed into a co-workers car and dented her side panel-on her husbands very expensive BMW-Ouch), rolls off too. Since I have no other accidents or tickets (knock wood), I'm looking at a premium drop of at least 15% if not closer to 20%. Sweet as they say.

I maintain a membership in the Farm Bureau of my state so I can take advantage of the discount they offer on a variety of businesses, I got a Triple A membership because I do travel a lot on weekends and various places give Triple A discounts (hotels especially) plusI like the peace of mind, and now as a fringe benefit, I get the Chamber of Commerce discount as well. Triple A and Farm Bureau "dues" cost me about $100 year and I've already gotten about $200 in various discounts.

If you work in a small business (and even a larger one) that is a member of your local Chamber of Commerce, call them up and see what benefits and discounts you may be eligible for. The entire process took less than 10 minutes of my time and I will be saving close to $175 if not more on my car insurance alone this year. It doesn' t hurt to ask!

2 comments:

Jerry said...

That's some good advice. I'm not sure if our insurance office belongs so I'll have to give them a call. If it leads to discounts, why not??

Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com

Anonymous said...

Joining AAA was the best thing I ever did. For around $40 a year I know the tow-truck will come if needed with no additional out of pocket plus (over $100 savings right there) and I get travel discounts.

Many hotels don't promote that they give AAA member rates. It's worth asking when you make the reservation.

For your readers who are AAA and AARP - even more savings!!