Monday, February 16, 2009

Why It Pays To Double Check Your Bank Account

I had one unhappy surprise this am. I logged onto my bank account to check the status of my income tax return (yeah it made it) only to see this bizarre amount for a check deduction. Like I had no recollection of ever writing a check in that amount nor did I have a record of a pending payment that might have gotten sent in early. I clicked on the check image only to discover that somehow my mortgage check had increased by $300. Yup, $300. My mortgage for my small space is $550. I saw a deduction in my account for $850. My hand writing is not that bad and it's my understanding that bank tellers use the handwritten line as the actual amount to be paid out.

The dollar amount written out is correctly and clearly, somehow there has been a teller or bank error. I have a copy of my mortgage payment receipt, a copy of the check front and back and a copy of the online statement. I'm not really happy about a $300 error. Not happy at all. No where on my payment receipt does it indicate an overpayment of $300. That $300 is earmarked for something else, not my mortgage at this point in time!

Take my word on it, I'll be at the bank's door first thing tomorrow to get this straightened out....

4 comments:

veronica said...

Holy crap! I had a similar issue several years ago (a $1 check was cashed for $100), but a $300 error is insane! Glad you caught it, and so soon. This could've been much worse. Good luck getting this sorted out.

Dawn said...

yikes! Let us know how that goes!

Anonymous said...

Hope it is fixed quickly.

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS said...

Checking accounts are another good deal for the banks.