I have this extensive To Do list of projects around my small house. This past week, I gave myself permission to work on two of them. One project was to install some flooring in my bathroom, the other was to put in a new closet system.
I did my research on products,etc, trucked off to Home Depot and bought my materials. The bathroom flooring was a breeze. I used a product called Allure vinyl flooring. It's a floating floor and the pattern I chose was a tile pattern. It took me longer to remove the toilet and sink and re-install the toilet and sink than it did to lay the new flooring. BIG pat on my back to me, I now have flooring instead of sub floor!
The next project was to put in a new closet system ($100). The people I bought my house from used this funky piece of furniture, not quite an armoire, not quite a free standing closet in the closet to store clothes. I've been using a basic plastic shelving unit to store all my folded clothes. I found a system at Home Depot that had both shelves and rods to put hangers on, it was not wire, I am trying to avoid wire, it's a manufactured wood product. I put together enough IKEA furniture in my time to decorate a show room. I thought this should be fairly easy to do. Like a half an afternoon project. How wrong I was!
The closet system, well, even for a "manufactured" product.. sucked. No other word. I used a rubber mallet as detailed in the instructions to tap in some hardware parts. Said mallet cracked the veneer. When I went to use a screw driver to tighten up some bolts, it caused the part being tightened up fall out of the shelf, a huge chunk of particle board just broke off. Nothing about this unit seemed sturdy or strong. I decided this was a waste of my time and money. I had no way of taking all the bits of hardware out of the shelves, so I loaded up the parts, bits and pieces, and took the whole thing back to Home Depot. I got a full refund and I spent the better part of the afternoon going to and from the store and attempting to put the piece together.
Ah well, right now all my clothes are packed in laundry baskets and garbage bags. I had to dismantle the plastic shelving before I could start on the new system. I will have to go back to square one and figure out what I want to do. It may be a wire system after all.....