Thursday, October 8, 2009

Shopping Spree

If you have read my blog in the past, you know how much I hate grocery shopping. For someone who likes to cook, I really dislike going to the grocery store.  Actually, I don't mind going to various markets (meat, produce,etc), but my area of the world does not have such stores.  Just over priced mom and pop local markets and the big chain markets. Spending more that 15 minutes in the grocery store gives me a headache, it really does.

After having such a crazy few weeks, I realized I was getting to the point of nothing in my food cupboards. Not that they were bare, but that I got to the point where I had no idea how to combine the last few items to make anything that was tasty. I even used up the last two cups of ramen noodles, some dying vegetables and leftover hoisin sauce to make, yup you guessed it, hoisin noodles with veggies. It's not so bad provided you don't use all the MSG filled broth in your stir fry.

Non the less, I made a list and went guilt free shopping yesterday.  I spent $93 on assorted groceries and sundry items (cleaning supplies), out of that $93, about $15 were on "processed foods".  Things like a bunch of Lean Cusisnes, some boxes of chicken broth, a box of Hot Pockets which I was craving, and a package of cookies. I did pick up some duplicate items to take to my weekend job as that pantry is spare and I do have my own assigned food shelf, those items are neatly bagged for my next work weekend.  I also got a nice pork shoulder that will be dumped in the crock pot on Friday and set to simmer with all sorts of spices. I'm hoping to can pick up a few windfall apples as I walk past the local orchard tomorrow. 

Even though I spent $93, I still did not pick up nearly enough fresh veg or other types of protein product (chicken pieces, ground beef, tofu). I have to make a Costco run tonight to pick up some items for work and will pick up my protein product then and my case of Seltzer Water that I drink everyday. 

The good part to this shopping spree is that I now have a nice assortment of items for my pantry so that I can make things like soups, stews, casseroles, breads, to feed my face at dinner and have the leftovers for lunch. Even though I walked out of the store feeling a little overwhelmed, at least I'm well set on pantry staples to last me at least the rest of the month if not more!

6 comments:

marci said...

I don't mind grocery shopping. I like finding good deals and if I remember what price it was last time I saw it, then finding it on sale this time. Good job getting those things stocked in your pantry though!

Revanche said...

I like grocery shopping the best when I've got a compiled list in hand, sales and coupons noted and clipped, and a total spend price in mind. It always feels like I'm going to pay too much for too little food, otherwise.

FRANNIE said...

I love grocery shopping provided I'm prepared. Coupons, know the sale stuff, etc.

I hate making a quick trip that's unorganized, I always end up spending more that way.

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS said...

Nothing like a little shopping ti take your mind off of things.

oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, true religion jeans, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet store online, uggs outlet, hogan outlet, guess pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors outlet, ray ban uk, sac hermes, coach purses, polo lacoste, hollister pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, north face, michael kors outlet online, timberland pas cher, nike roshe run uk, true religion outlet, mulberry uk, replica handbags, burberry outlet, nike air force, nike air max, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet online, north face uk, nike free uk, nike tn, uggs outlet, michael kors, sac vanessa bruno, new balance, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada

oakleyses said...

nike air max, valentino shoes, soccer shoes, gucci, lancel, nike roshe run, instyler, mcm handbags, nfl jerseys, nike air max, hermes belt, celine handbags, beats by dre, longchamp uk, timberland boots, vans outlet, ralph lauren, vans, mont blanc pens, hollister, baseball bats, giuseppe zanotti outlet, north face outlet, bottega veneta, chi flat iron, asics running shoes, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, babyliss, ray ban, converse outlet, nike trainers uk, new balance shoes, ghd hair, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, iphone cases, nike huaraches, louboutin, jimmy choo outlet, oakley, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, hollister, lululemon, wedding dresses, reebok outlet, hollister clothing, insanity workout, ferragamo shoes